Sunday, April 3, 2011

Reproductive body parts and gendered norms

One of the doulas in a local volunteer group forwarded an article About Purportedly Gendered Body Parts by Dean Spade, founder of the Sylvia Rivera Law Project and Assistant Professor at Seattle University School of Law.  In the article he encourages the use of more sensitive and accurate language with regards to reproductive body parts in work within transgendered and non-traditional clients.

Here's a link to his site to learn more:

http://www.deanspade.net/

In my own work I look forward to working with mothers and parents of ALL backgrounds including the LGBT community. I've always had an interest in Women's Studies, specifically the definition of gender, and the experiences stories of women of color.

What is a woman? We know a woman is still a woman without breasts, without her uterus, without a husband, in a pant suit and without children. So what is a woman?

I do think it's an important concept to meditate on as women go through the cycle of life. I'm still grappling with my own answer to this question and one day I hope to write something I can stand by as my belief on this topic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment